Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day (to my dad)!

When I was maybe 11 years old, my dad took me to work with him for "Take Your Daughter to Work Day." While the other girls in my class were going with their mothers to work (probably to schools, offices, jobs that required heels), I marched behind my father up the steps of his trailer office at Portsmouth Public Utilities to learn about how our sewage is cleaned and eventually recycled into drinking water. Fascinating stuff. I "helped" him with his paperwork, got coffee for all the guys in his trailer, and got to see the inside of a water treatment plant. It was a magical day. No, I didn't develop an overwhelming urge to have a career in public utilities. But I did learn about work ethic, professional pride and the fact that it's just as important for girls to learn these things as it is for boys. Nearly 20 years later, that day and the lessons I learned are still crystal clear. Thanks, Dad, for showing me (not just telling me) that girls can do anything boys can do and giving me the tools to make it happen. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment